Monday, February 24, 2014

America Scores Mediocre in Basic Science



So Does the Earth Revolve Around the Sun?


Once again I've come across a news article that has me pondering and what might that be I hope you are wondering?  Well I have a question, does the earth move around the sun or is it the opposite, the sun evolves around our planet?  I find it totally amazing that 26% of the American public  in a science quiz answered that the sun revolves around the earth! I guess this might seem a logical answer since the sun does appear to move across the sky from sunrise to sunset. 

In a 2012 survey conducted every two years by the National Science Foundation of over 2,200 people in the U.S. 5.8 of the questions on basic science were answered incorrectly, with an overall grade of 65% which was considered a failure when I was in school. 

The basic science questions are as follows:

1.  True of False, the center of the Earth is very hot?

2.  True or false, the continents have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move.

3.  Does the Earth go around the sun, or does the sun go around the Earth?

4. True or false, all radioactivity is man-made?

5. True or false, electrons are smaller than atoms?

6. True or false, lasers work by focusing sound waves?

7. True or false, the universe began with a huge explosion?

8. True or false, it's the father's gene that decides whether the baby is a boy or girl?

9. True or false, antibiotics kill viruses as well as bacteria?

10. True or false, human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals?

Now granted I understand that some answers may be controversial based on one's religions beliefs.  However, most of these questions are almost pure logic. 

Well, I invite you to participate and have fun, oh and to make it more challenging, I haven't supplied the answers--that's to Google if you aren't sure. 

1 comment:

  1. Jackie, I love the post you have shared with us. I look forward to each new one. Please continue with your wonderful "Ponderings".

    ReplyDelete